Friday, June 29, 2012

Our Van has been repaired, and was delivered this evening.

Joe, the service manager at the Ford Garage, called at 3:30, and the van has all been repaired.  Joe and a friend are traveling to Wall to fish in a favorite lake, and Joe is driving the van here to save us the trouble of getting a ride to Rapid City. 
We have done a little happy dance for the van.
The van has arrived, and is in good working order, and the Air-Conditioning is working really well.  When I was checking all of the systems out, Joe and his friends had driven off, I found the Garmin GPS part of the stereo didn’t work, and the back-up camera didn’t work.  Being the fixer that I am, I took all of the dash stuff off that I could, and I removed the engine cowling from the interior of the van, in my search for the unattached cord or cable that was pulled loose during the shops repair.  All seemed to be just fine with the cables, and I now had my hands dirty.  I got the manuals to the stereo, and all of the accessories that are hooked up.  I started with the wrong manuals first, and read into them and got confused, and finally the last manual that was for the stereo’s main system, I found that it was a setup setting, and that fixed the last of it.  The backup camera works well, and the GPS is now working well.  This kind of stuff is becoming a greater challenge than I am able to sort out.  The cost of the happy tow and repairs is just $1351.88, and this seems to be the unexpected repair cost every travel season.
Anne-Marie and I walked in to town today and visited Wall Drug again, and I bought some fudge for Anne-Marie.
On the walk back to the trailer we saw the neatest RV in the Parking lot.  A custom made Expedition RV on a Mercedes truck.
DSC00640DSC00641
Irmi and Frieder from Germany had this very custom RV body built on the 1981 truck chassis, and they have toured Europe, and now North America.
DSC00642DSC00644
The truck is a retired police vehicle used for transporting a light tower, and it had 25thousand miles on it.  All wheel drive, diesel, 12 miles per gal.  The rear bracket lowers to the ground for getting the motorcycle on and off.  It was outfitted with air-cushion seats, but the inside is a bit sparse compared to our trailer.
DSC00645
I looked at their blog, but I had to use a language translation site to somewhat understand the vehicle specs.  This has to be a rough riding truck, but it looks neat.
DSC00652DSC00653
Another 34ft Airstream arrived today, and so did a Boy Scout Troop from Ohio.
Back on the road tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I was curious to see from a recent post, what the issue was with your Van. I will say that you dodged a bullet by being proactive and seeking repair immediately. The Ford Triton motors are notorious for engine fires due to spark plugs coming loose. There are class action lawsuits active against Ford on this issue. You may want to join in to re-coup some of the repair costs. here is a link that references, four Class Action Lawsuits. http://blogs.ajc.com/business-beat/2012/04/27/ford-owners-sue-over-costly-repair/

    ReplyDelete