Thursday, June 28, 2012

We toured the town a little more

Yesterday I called the Ford Garage, in Rapid City to check on the status of our van.  The engine has been repaired, and parts have been ordered for the the heater/AC unit.  I had asked the shop to fix the AC/heater, as the system has developed a vacuum leak.  As a safety feature, the heater control operates on vacuum from the engine, to make the internal switch between the different heat or air-conditioning modes.  If the vacuum system develops a leak, or has a faulty device in the system, the heater automatically will change the heating system to defrost.  Our vans vacuum leak had been so bad, that when the AC was on, and I pressed on the gas pedal, the AC would go off, and the heater would switch to defrost, and this would stay that way until I would take my foot off of the gas pedal and coast, and then the AC would come back on.  In the cooler climates, the vacuum leak wasn’t a real problem, but when the temp is in the mid 90s, it becomes a bit of an issue.
The repairs will be complete on Friday, and Joe the Service Manager wants to deliver the van that evening, here 50 miles away.  Joe said that he has a favorite fishing lake just outside of Wall,  and he is planning to go fishing after work, so it works out for both of us.

Anne-Marie and I walked into town to do some more exploring.  We checked out all of the stores across the street from The Wall Drug Store.  Gift shops, jewelry shops, leather clothes, fine artwork, and the inexpensive tourist trinkets, there were stores for every taste.
It seems that buffalo burgers are popular in every restaurant, and Anne-Marie had one a few days ago, same as beef but leaner.  We had lunch in a small restaurant/bar and returned to the trailer.

Later in the afternoon we walked to the local meat market, about a mile away.  We saw a Killdeer in the city park, on our way out, and it seemed to follow ahead of us for 200ft, across the parks parking lot, and we walked away.  On our return trip through the parking lot, the bird was making quite a commotion, and getting closer than 10ft of us.  I stopped and was surveying the ground in front of me for the nest, quite often the nest has no material, except for the egg, and it is spotted and blends in quite well with the gravel.
DSC00634
The Killdeer was turning her back to me, and dropping low to the ground, and doing the broken wing dance, all the while screaming at me.
DSC00632
If you zoom in on the picture, you can see that she is screaming and is incredibly stressed.  I couldn’t see the nest, and Anne-Marie encouraged me to leave, because this bird was stressed.  We left the bird to her own territory, and continued our walk.

Our friend Steve, who has had a blog for five years, encouraged me to continue the blog, and learn to use the tools, that make the blog easier, and that the blog will provide hours of entertainment and enjoyment every day.  Yesterday, my computer was tired, I was tired, I wrote about 400 words of a story, and this program wouldn’t publish the story, and it wouldn’t save it and it lost it.  I got depressed, shut the computer off, and went to  bed.  I seem to still find frustrations with the blog.

1 comment:

  1. But others do read it and enjoy it, and then know what and how you're doing. New day, fresh start. Your SIL

    ReplyDelete