Saturday, September 29, 2012

Finishing the Brake Job that was Started in Mitchell, South Dakota

We had the trailer brakes get down to the metal to metal point when we were in Mitchell South Dakota, and I had to have two rotors turned, and I replaced the brake pads on those wheels.  The O’Reilly Auto Parts Store only had one set of pads for our brakes, and we wanted to get on the road, so we waited till we arrived here to finish the job.
DSC03258
I ordered two sets of brake pads from the local O’Reilly parts store and Yesterday morning I got to finish the brake project.  The remaining brake pads were down to almost being metal to metal, and may have not made it to Tucson.  I replaced the left over wheel on the other side first, and then did these three all at the same time.  The total time on yesterdays project was two hours, and the cost for the pads was $60.  I haven’t done this type of work in a few years, and I just don’t see how I could do it anymore often than on demand.  My back still aches this morning, and my knees have tender knobs on them.  I couldn’t just get up and walk to the van for another tool, because my blood pressure medicine kept me dizzy when I stood up, and my back couldn’t get straight, and I walked at a half crouch and gradually straightened after about 20 feet.  Anne-Marie helped me with tool fetching, and cleanup.
DSC03264
Yesterday morning the kitchen circuit breaker kept tripping, and I kept turning off devices and we got down to the coffee pot and the rice cooker, and it still tripped.  The circuit breaker is a GFI 20amp type and the bathroom and kitchen both share it.  I have a Kill A Watt volt meter, and I moved it about, measuring the wattage draw on everything that was operating on the circuit, and it was still tripping at about a 15amp draw.  I need to get a clamp on amp meter to measure what is happening right at the circuit breaker.  I may need to replace the circuit breaker if it is starting to get a little tired, or we may have a hidden problem that needs to be addressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment