Sunday, September 30, 2012

Replacing brake pads on our tow vehicle, E350 4X4

I don’t know why I started this one, I already hurt from the day before, when I changed out the trailer brake pads.  I called auto shops around Yakima, until I found one with a machine shop that was open on Saturday, and they could turn the brake rotors on the van.  I drove the van to Grandma Darlings house, and disassembled the brakes in the driveway.  With the brake parts in the back of Grandmas station wagon, we drove to the auto parts store in Yakima, with the plan of running other errand's while waiting for the machine shop to do their thing.  When we parked in the station wagon in the lot, I thought it was right next to the front door, but no, we were around the corner, and the furthest of all from the front door.  The distance from the front door isn’t an issue, except that the rotors weighed about 40lbs each, and are really dirty, so I hold it about a foot in front of my chest with both hands and just barely make it in the store before my arms turn into Jell-O, each trip.  The guy that I spoke to took a look at the rotors and said “Can’t do em. They are High Performance slotted rotors, and our machine can’t do em.”  I bought these special before we got on the road in 2009, and I thought that any shop could do this.  I bought new brake pads, and we left for home.
DSC03265
This is what I had in the driveway, when we returned home.  I was just hating the thought of getting on my knees, to reassemble the frontend of the van, really dreading it.  My back ached before I started, and it was really throbbing now.  Just a little over an hour of squatting and scooting around the wheels, and the project was put back together.

I think that I lost a few inches of height on this project, I am walking with a old mans crouch, with my knees slightly bent, and my shoulders hunched forward, and my right hand turned inward so it doesn’t hurt.  I am an old man.

Today my back is sore, and my right wrist has a dull ache in it, and I don’t have the strength to do any more of this for about a year or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment