Monday, October 1, 2012

Replacing the Rear Stabilizer Controls

Anne-Marie and I have pulled the trailer over 9000 miles this summer, and we have had a few things wear out or break this year.  Mid-state Michigan when I was driving, pulling onto the freeway, a flattened traffic cone was in our lane, another vehicle had hit it and knocked it into the travel lane.  I straddled the flattened cone with the van,thinking that we could pass safely over the top of it, but it was just too tall, and it tumbled from the front bumper to the back bumper of the van.  I looked in the mirror, and saw it jump off to the side, at the back of the trailer.  We continued our travels another hour without checking for damage.  When we were checking in at the RV Park in Mackinaw Michigan, a worker there alerted us to a noise in the back of our trailer.  I had to remove the fuse holder to turn the power off to the controls.  Both switches were broken, and the fuse holder was no longer serviceable.  I ordered parts from Kelly at Woodland Travel, and she shipped them to our Hood River Oregon address.
DSC03267
We got our mail forwarded to us here in Yakima, and yesterday the last day before traveling again, I started the switch replacement.  The fuse holder has been removed, and the picture shows that the left switch is up, and the right one is broke off.  I had to buy a solder gun for the project, and I had all other tools that were necessary. 
DSC03269
This is the finished project, and both stabilizers work again.  This was another lay on the ground project, and when I was scooting under the trailer, I was pushing with my feet and I caused a water leak on the hose.  The water leak caused the overalls that I was laying on to be a little uncomfortable, and I reached the point that I had to get out from under trailer and tighten the water fitting, before the overalls soaked the water up to my shorts.

Today is a travel day, we are moving the trailer to Nehalem Oregon, and we plan to be there for this week visiting our oldest son Andrew and his wife Amanda.

No comments:

Post a Comment