Monday, October 22, 2012

Small Project in the Trailer

We are parked at Kathryn’s house here in Carson City, and tethered up to water, power and sewer services.  There is a threat of freezing weather next week, and our water supply might be threatened if it arrives.  I haven’t started to remove the hitch from the trailer, and a closer inspection has shown a additional break in the lower  housing, and we are grounded till the replacement arrives, UPS tracking says Thursday.

Saturday morning and again Sunday, the kitchen GFI circuit breaker has tripped.  Saturday the instant hot water heater was on, and Sunday it was off, and the only other appliances were the rice cooker, and the coffeepot. 
DSC00149DSC00157
Saturday I started working on running a power cable under the floor, from under the fridge, across the trailer to under the stove.  This sounds like a very workable project, I have found the access holes in the floor, where the power cables come up on each side, but the one under the fridge is off to the side under the shower unit.  The hole in the floor under the stove is in a area that I can’t look directly into it, and I can only blindly work my hand down to it.  The wires are free between each side, but I can’t get anything shoved or pushed through between these two openings.  I have tried my fish tape many times, and Anne-Marie has helped with this while I was on the other side listening and looking for any sign of the tape.  I even have tried pushing the new power cable through, and nothing that I have tried has had any success.  I believe that if I could remove the cabinets on both sides, this project would have been done in just a few minutes.  The picture of the heating duct, is under the closet, and the flashlight is wedged in looking at the hole in the floor under the adjacent cabinet.  The picture of the power wire under the fridge, is a failed attempt at pushing the wire across the floor.
DSC001611803515J
I have bought a new tool for this project, it is a camera with a 3ft flexible gooseneck with a 3ft extension.  The monitor is a wireless type, and can be used across the room.  I finally was successful in getting the fish tape across the correct channel, with the camera looking at the wires from under the stove, and the wireless monitor under the fridge where I could watch it, while I blindly was feeling for the correct hole with the fish tape.  I took this picture of the wires laying under the floor, the date/time hasn’t been set, and I found that the light on the end of the camera can be turned up brighter.
DSC00162DSC00164
Yesterday I pulled the heating duct out of the way, and got a clear view of the power wire chase, Airstream runs the 12 volt wires and the 120 volt wires separately, and I didn’t want to use the wrong channel.  I used a jigsaw to cut strips in the wall between the shower stall and the under the fridge area.  The plywood didn’t break cleanly, but it allowed my hand to feel across and find a different access hole from the ones that I had previously been poking wires and fish tapes into.  The fish tape found the right one, and I watched it in the monitor as it reached the kitchen side.  The picture of the right is of the wire in place after Anne-Marie and I pulled it across, and under the floor.

Today I plan on fishing the power cable behind the shower, and into the bathroom cabinet, and across to the hot water heater.  This should conclude removing the kitchens instant hot water heater from the kitchen GFI circuit breaker.  The new GFI breaker, is tripping in the morning with the coffeemaker and the rice cooker both on, and I think that it has been weakened as it is tripping with less than 15amps of a load.
DSC00165
After my afternoon nap, I broke away and dashed over to Schat’s bakery for a fresh loaf of bread for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment