Sunday, October 14, 2012

Working on the Plumbing

Yesterday afternoon I worked on a wiring project, between the bathroom and the water heater under the kitchen sink, and got side tracked by the discovery of a water leak in the drain pipe under the kitchen sink.
DSC00101
Yesterday afternoon I got under the kitchen sink for something, and I found a small amount of dampness.  I removed everything close to the drain pipe, and found the source of the leak.  If you enlarge the picture, a brown crust has formed on this fitting, where the leak has been.  I tried to tighten it up, and I found that the threads are stripped, and it needs to be replaced.  The cause of this is that sometimes something is pressing against the pipe during travel, and bumps, and hard breaking push things against it hard, or vibrates against it.  This is just something that happens, and today I will go to the hardware store, and buy the replacement part.

Across the hall from the kitchen I was looking for a path to run another power wire to the kitchen sink area.  I want to put the hot water tank, the one that supplies the whole trailer with hot water, and the little instant hot water heater located at the kitchen sink, on the same power circuit.  When I installed the instant hot water heater, I wired it to the only source of power that was there, the kitchen circuit, and as we have been living in the trailer for three years now, we have been using more electric appliances, and the circuit is over worked.
larger full extention soft close drawersBigger deeper wider taller shelf
The bathroom cabinet is home of the big water heater, it holds five gallons at a time, and is hidden in the corner to the left of the sink.  These pictures are from 2009 when I rebuilt the cabinet face and enlarged the drawers.  I remember the power wires crossing under the sink, and if I can find the path under the floor to the kitchen cabinets, I can fish another wire.
Old Cabinet Face 2Drain Moved 2 
These are old pictures, from the cabinet remodel, that I found this morning.  The first picture is the old cabinet face before being removed, and the second picture is showing the hot water heater, and the maze of water pipes, the rerouted drain pipe, and the wires and cables resting on top of the wheel well and passing on through behind the shower.  The power wire crosses under the hallway floor beyond the shower, near the fridge.

I disassembled the bathroom cabinet to the level as shown in the old picture on the right, and  I found that if I can get the power wire to here, it’s a workable solution.  What I did discover, is that all of the cabinet stuff didn’t need to be removed yesterday, but I didn’t know how the power wires were run until I looked here.  It was during this project that the leaky pipe was found in the kitchen.  I reassembled the bathroom cabinet, before troubleshooting the kitchen leak.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job on discovering the leak and acting upon it immediately! Leaks, especially minor ones, work insidiously; oftentimes the problem’s already out of hand before you notice it. Issues like this need to be resolved as early as possible to save time and money. And as for your case, taking care of this leak really is of importance because of the effects it can bring to your wiring job.

    Kurt Verdejo

    ReplyDelete