Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hensley Hitch Installed and Ready to Travel South

The Hensley arrived on Thursday, I unboxed the parts and saw that all was there, and Friday I started the install.  The Hensley sales person said that at the factory, the install or change out takes about an hour, and I should be able to do it in an hour also, two hours tops.  Two days for me to complete the install, with a few trips to the auto parts store for a couple of tools and necessary goo’s.  I had to drill two holes in the frame bracket on the road side, the existing ones just didn’t line up. 

During one of my trips to the auto parts store, I looked at grease guns, I have a standard sized one and one about half size, but I hate touching them.  I remember disliking grease and lubing tools from back when my Dad had a service station in the 1960s, and I still don’t like getting the stuff on me.  I haven’t found a better lubing tool than the ones that I already own, and don’t think that I could like a new one any better.  When I got all of the parts that needed grease rubbed on them, ready for the grease, I took a nap and dreaded the project for about 40 minutes, then I gloved up, slopped the goo on the appropriate parts, and got them assembled and covered up. 

The instructions were easy to follow, and I have a better understanding of what the hitch does, and how it works.  The installation guide has some don’t do this instructions, because damage will happen, and keep grease on that part suggestions.  I maladjusted the hitch, and didn’t put lube in some of the places (ever).  When we had the 4 inch drop hitch bar, I over stressed the hitch by cranking the spring bars up way too high, for about a years worth of travel, till we exchanged the bar for a 2 inch drop one.  It was so hard to get weight transferred to the front with the 4 inch bar, and the 2 inch was the best fit for our Van. 

The new hitch will be looked at, with a different eye for adjustment, and an assurance for enough of that nasty grease in all of the right places.  I hate touching the grease guns.
DSC00227
Bright orange and nicely painted.
DSC00229
During the install, I was nearly overly protective of the big and heavy carriage, not wanting to scratch the orange paint, but I know it wont last.

No comments:

Post a Comment