Saturday, October 13, 2012

Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale

When our son Andrew and I were in the Rogue Public House in Astoria, on Thursday last week, Andrew asked the bartender about a new beer that was available, and all that I paid attention to, was just the answer and not the name of the beer, her answer was that it goes out the door as fast as it comes in.  Very popular, she said, and the reviews are a bit mixed, some love it and some can’t stand it.  I didn’t pay attention to the name of the beer, only that there wasn’t any available that day, as I was paying attention to the available flavors.

The day after our Son Andrew and I visited the Rogue Public House, a Airstream friend of ours, Mona, shared a picture on Facebook that she took in the Portland area, of a display of the Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale bottles.  The comments that she had were a little mixed, but all liked the bottle.
DSC00072
Here in Hood River Oregon right here in the local Safeway Store, I found in the beer section, Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale, and there were a lot of them, two rows on the shelf, clear back to the wall, and two of them stashed on the top shelf, because of lack of room in the Rouge section.  Yesterday morning, I walked across the street to the Safeway Store, with the thought of buying just one, (I wanted to take it to Tucson to share with friends, it might not be available down there.) and I found that the store was almost out of that beer.  I took my camera with the thought of showing how many pink bottles were on the shelf, but all but two were gone.  At this point all that I knew about the beer is that it had a neat bottle, and a funny name.  Not wanting to miss out completely, and with a little bit of panic, I bought both bottles.

Last night Anne-Marie got a kick out of my reactions to the comments that I was reading on line about this beer, and the videos were fun too.  Some of the beer rating sites were really good about describing the aroma and taste, right down to the complex and layered flavors, and how surprising and different two people rate this beer.  Some of the comments were so laugh-out-loud funny, that I was nearly in hysterics and unable to read them to her.  The bottles are stashed in the van, and packed well for the trip south.
DSC00083DSC00084
Laundry day yesterday, and this is one of the two cleanest, neatest Laundromats we have been to.  The owner even has a snack bar, that is open on busier days.
DSC00086
When we got home from the laundry, we had about 30 quail running about the shrubbery, they are always fun to watch.
DSC00094DSC00095
A 1958 Pontiac Chieftain was in the parking lot here at the Motel/RV Park.  This car looked to be in new condition, and original condition except for the side exhaust pipes.  The license was from Alaska, but it must have been shipped down, because the front of it looked new and really clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment