Saturday, November 17, 2012

A hike on Gates Pass

We’ve been busy taking care of ourselves, and doing favors for our neighbors.  The RV lifestyle seems to be working for us, and we are going to travel and vacation for another year.  We hear of old neighbors, here in Tucson, that transition out of their RVs and into a permanent home every year.  Our neighbor Steve, has bought a home in Copper Crest Development, and will be transitioning into a permanent house, and  perhaps downsizing to a much smaller RV. 
DSC00422
Haircut day for Anne-Marie and I.  Maria from next door cut our hair, right on our porch, and it’s Anne-Marie’s turn in the chair.  Maria even groomed my eyebrows and ears, to a aesthetically approved fashion, I have hair where I shouldn’t.
DSC00434
Friday, I went on a Gates Pass loop trail hike with Steve, Lloyd, and Maria.  We drove to the trailhead on Gates Pass road, and we walked over 4 miles of trail with views and vistas the entire length.  This is a wide view of the valley floor, with the trailhead at the bend in the road, and Old Tucson in the distance, and Maria on the right.
DSC00446DSC00454
Approaching the Gates Pass trail crossing, with Mt Lemon in the far distance.  Steve and Maria on Gates Pass.
DSC00455
A final view from Gates Pass, as we are about to hike around the mountain.
DSC00463
The teddy bear cholla cactus is really healthy up here.
DSC00472
This was our resting spot at about halfway.  Steve Lloyd, and Maria taking in the views of the hidden valley, and new rock formations.
DSC00478DSC00504
The mountains beyond Tucson, and a interesting rock formation south of Tucson Estates.
DSC00499
This is on top of a pass between Tucson Estates, an the Gates Pass Road.  I rested my fanny pack on the trailhead signs, while the others made the last climb up the hill.  The three of us old guys walked at about the same pace, and Maria being a bit younger and stronger, was out in front, but always checking back on the stragglers, as we all seemed to take turns being last.  Maria didn’t fall back to the middle of the pack, until she picked up a few rocks for her rock garden, at the RV Park, one of which weighed at least ten pounds.  When we got back to the trailer, I was beat over and needed a nap, but I think that Maria took off in her car running errands, I just don’t have the energy that I did 20 years ago.  We walked over four miles, and we didn’t return for almost four hours.

When we arrived here, the Wi-Fi was working good, but as additional RVs arrive, the small issues and problems start to show.  I am able to solve a few problems a day, but I seem to fix an issue, and another jumps up.  I think that I’m making headway with the whole thing, and it’s real fun to make changes that the residents appreciate.

The Trail Camera didn’t even take one picture yesterday.  This morning Steve and I repositioned the camera angle, and moved the seed block closer, and that should help.  The Javelina haven’t found the seed block yet, and the birds and bunnies are getting it worn out, I may need to buy another.

No comments:

Post a Comment