Friday, November 9, 2012

Bunnies and Quail on the Trail Camera

Yesterday was another day of moving rocks around the patio area of our RV site.  I have the depression at the Palo Verde tree lined with gravel, and I believe that there isn’t any hidey holes for rattlesnakes or packrats.  The snakes and packrats aren’t a real threat, but I don’t like surprises, the snakes will leave if given the opportunity (they don’t like us either), and the packrats can cause damage to a RV if they find a way into the underside, or wall, because they chew on anything like wires or plastic plumbing lines.  As the weather cools down at night, our chances of finding a rattlesnake are really reduced, as they hide out and stay dormant till the spring when it gets warm again.

I have the trail camera setup again this year, and to help with activity, I have bought a seed block.  The seed block is kind of like a salt block for cows, I remember those in the North West States, but the seed block is bird seed pressed into a big brick with molasses to keep it together.
SUNP0008SUNP0030
The first night with the camera, I only caught a bunny.  The date and time are shown on the pictures, and this bunny was active when it was still dark.
SUNP0093SUNP0121
This morning I walked into the wash to exchange the memory card in the camera, and there wasn’t a fresh track of anything on the ground.  We had rain last night, and the ground was smoothed over, and no evidence of any activity, except for a little more rounding of the corners of the block.  I had 150 pictures recorded, and it was all quail and bunnies.  Some pictures were one bird, then two or more, or a bunny or two, and these pictures show the bunnies and some quail sharing the seed block. 

Steve’s bird feeder area is only about 100 feet from the wash, and during Happy Hour we enjoy watching the birds and bunnies come in to feed, and the bunnies share with quail and doves all of the time.  I guess that they both know that neither is a threat to the other.
DSC00274DSC00282
These two wide pictures are of the weather this morning.  We have been here a week, and this is the first storm to pass through.  We got some serious sprinkles last night, but not quite a hard rain, and I hope that the dust is washed off of the gravel that I have raked all over our RV Site.  Yesterday, I bought some beer from the local Nimbus Brewery here in Tucson, and it needs some ice today, I think that I’ll get a sack of ice to cool it.

No comments:

Post a Comment