Saturday, November 3, 2012

We’re in Arizona, Heading to Tucson

Yesterday we traveled into Arizona and we spent the night in Wickenburg, Arizona.  Anne-Marie didn’t have a good nights sleep, the night before, and I got to drive the entire trip.  I didn’t have the energy to drive continuously through, and about lunch time, when I suggested to Anne-Marie that she take the wheel, she suggested pulling over and taking a nap.  An hours nap and somewhat recharged energy levels got us to Wickenburg.

We haven’t seen much wildlife since we passed through Vegas on our drive to Laughlin, except for a rattle snake that was crossing the road in front of us.  The snake was nearly 30 inches long, and was slowly moving across our lane of travel, and was stretched out straight, almost like a stick in the road.  We were traveling down the two lane highway just after the last pass and on a steep downhill grade.  I saw the snake just as it was too late to do anything to avoid it, and the drivers front tire ran over the snake.  I looked in the mirror, to see if it was hurt, and I think that the trailer tires may have hit it also, and it was obvious that it didn’t like being run over, because it was now in a split second, a twisting about and then it was out of sight.  We were traveling 50+ mph and I had to keep the van on course and we don’t know if it was hurt.  I remember when I was a kid, one of my Moms friends told a story of running over snakes in the road, and she claimed that you had to skid the tires on the snake to kill it, so maybe this one will have survived to do its job on the other side of the highway.

We traveled yesterday, and again today we will travel.  Tucson is now only a days drive away, and I am looking towards a few days of decompression before any new adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment