Saturday, July 14, 2012

Another project completed, and Internet concerns in Tucson

I have visited hardware stores perhaps seven or eight times since we arrived in Urbana, Illinois.  Every little project evolves and changes as I get started on it, and every change means different parts, or tools, and another trip to a hardware store.  The cement walkway is patched, and it is quite recognizable as a patch, but the trip hazard has been resolved.  The small amount of cement (one bag) was mixed in a kitty litter tub, that I bought at Wal-Mart, and required a lot of moving up and down from on my knees, to standing, during the chiseling, cleaning, mixing, scooping, smoothing, parts of fixing the walkway.  In the heat and humidity of the afternoon, my blood pressure medicine was making me dizzy every time I stood up.  I could function just fine on my knees, or even just bent over, but if I stood up, I had to walk a step or two, to find something to hold on to.  I had drank at least two glasses of water before starting, and I was sweating like crazy, and this may have contributed to my problem, anyway I was ill when I was done, and four glasses of water and dinner seemed to make me feel just fine again.

Chris from the Phone Company in Tucson, called me early in the afternoon, to discuss the RV Park’s internet service. 
They are claiming a violation of two of the service agreement rules
(1 Excessive use of the DSL service, and
(2 Reselling of the Internet service. 
They won’t or can’t say when or by how much the Parks users overused the service, and the service has been provided as a Wi-Fi hot spot, and not been sold to customers.  The Phone company also has a provision allowing for a Wi-Fi hotspot, if the customer has prior permission.  This is very serious for the RV Park, as 99% of all customers want and need Internet, and the Phone Company says that the RV Park needs to be removed from the DSL system, but they have an alternate internet system that the Park can subscribe to at a cost of 6 to 11 thousand dollars a year.  Every coffee shop, hotel, motel, grocery store, auto parts store, restaurant, and nearly all commercial establishments have Free Wi-Fi available here signs in the window.  Where does their internet service originate from?  The RV Park has been honest and upfront with how the service was to be used, and has always felt that it was not selling the service, was unaware of such rules, and had permission through the phone company's knowledge of this use.

The Phone Company has oversold their DSL service, and is using this ploy to remove commercial users from the system. This is selective enforcement of rules that the customer was totally unaware of.  In early April, Doc received a call from a sales person with the Phone Company, announcing that faster DSL speeds were now available, and the park could increase their speed if they so wished.

I guess I have ranted enough, today is Saturday Market Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment